Happenings 12 November 23
The following comes to us from the Baptist World Alliance (thanks, Olwyn, for bringing it to our attention).
Baptists across Israel and the Palestinian Territories request fervent prayer for just peace. This includes the Association of Baptist Churches in Israel with 17 Baptist churches and the Council of Local Evangelical Churches in the Holy Land representing 13 Baptist churches in the Palestinian Territories, including a Baptist church in Gaza.
Together as a Baptist family that is one in Christ Jesus, let us mourn with all whose loved ones have been killed or are held captive. Let us follow paths of peacemaking that unequivocally reject terrorism or any acts that target civilians, include dehumanizing language, or limit human rights on the basis of ethnicity or faith. Let us generously provide help and support with the compassion of Christ. Let us stand together with our Baptist family and all who are suffering, and in the midst of complexity and violence, hear again the words of the prophet Micah “to act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly” in pursuit of restorative justice and peace for all people. Our Baptist leaders in the region have shared the following calls to prayer. Prayer is the most important action we can take at this time.
Please join with Baptists around the world in prayer using the prayer points listed below.
- Pray for a quick end to the conflict and the prevention of escalation into a larger war in the region.
- Pray for the God of all comfort to be with those who are grieving the loss of their loved ones.
- Pray for those who have been wounded during the conflict and for those providing medical assistance to them.
- Pray for the safety and liberation of hostages, and pray for mediators to facilitate their release.
- Pray for wisdom and discernment for the leaders, that they may make decisions that lead to lasting peace and alleviate suffering.
- Pray that Christians from around the world will unite in prayer for peace, demonstrating the love of Christ to all peoples.
- Pray for safety of local followers of Jesus and that they will be shielded from extremism and hatred, especially young people.
- Pray for God to utilize our churches as effective witnesses during this challenging time, through the power of the Holy Spirit, including the Baptist church in Gaza and its ongoing ministry.
- Pray that Christians around the world will give generously as our Baptist family across this area seeks to holistically minister in this critical time of suffering.
- Pray for peace, hope, and security for the entire region, and that the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays so that Israelis and Palestinians will experience life lived in peace and freedom with one another.